Friday, December 7, 2007

~sigh~

I'm working on heading out the door a bit early for work. Really, I am. Gotta do something while I'm sucking down that last cuppa joe and rolling a couple of cigarettes. It is cold. I do not want to go out. Tucson take me away!

OK, off to dress myself in 18 layers and brush my teeth. To hell with the makeup. Back later for a continuation of the drivel & other things as well.

Home again, home again...

It's coming up on 2:30am. I was supposed to be off work at 11pm. I clocked out at 1:30am. I started my rounds at 7:05pm and finished at 10:50pm. What a night! Then, it was on to finish entering labs. I had a readmission that I had to have drawn in the morning. I missed the cut-off time for entering them into the computer to have them drawn in the morning. Being me, I wrote them out and added the diagnosis codes and handed them to her nurse and told her to have the phlebotomist draw them along with everyone else in the morning. It is that or they can make a special trip out on Saturday morning. Doesn't matter to me.

Brian called and wanted me to call him back. I was in the middle of tonight's heifer skirmish and didn't get a chance to return the call before he went to bed. After the bitch-slap fest was finished, I had my tube feeding changes to do. In the middle of spilling formula all over my medication cart because you can't get the air out of these bags like they promise you can, my hypochondriac with the noncompliant, over-bearing sisters came back from the emergency room where it was determined that he had nothing going on with his digestive tract other than his sisters allowing him to graze freely from the refrigerator and taking him out to eat fast food.

I was trying desperately to do my paperwork when one of the nurses stopped by the office to tell me that one of our guys with the current intestinal bug was still throwing up. As he was becoming dehydrated and is diabetic with bad kidney function to being with, we sent him over the the ER. I was about to leave when I got a call from my staff at the hospital with him that the ambulance personnel didn't give the hospital his information packet. I copied and faxed it to the hospital.

Add in my own assigned patients who are sick with the intestinal virus, having to change an ileostomy appliance because its owner is OCD and won't leave it alone, the fire drill...

It didn't make for a very good night.

It's nearly 3am. I should probably go get some sleep. With the way things have gone, I'm sure my daughter will be scheduled to open tomorrow, and I will have to assume kiddo duty at 7am.

With any luck, I will be home and back to bed by 10am. The night shift looms tomorrow.

No comments: