Monday, May 28, 2007

It's back to work tonight. I'm doing a load of laundry before I head off to bed for a few hours of sleep. I should be doing some cleaning on the house, but I probably won't. I swept the kitchen, emptied the trash, started the load of laundry... I think cleaning the cat box will be the final official cleaning act of the day.

When I bought cat litter a few weeks back, I noticed that the bag that it was packaged in was some sort of woven-looking plastic type material. Almost like what the poly tarpaulins are made from. I took a look in the pet food and supplies asiles the other morning when I was at the Wal-Mart. Hey, Wally's is pretty empty at 5am on a Sunday, so there's room to move and time to peruse. I noticed that several brands of dog food and cat litters are being packaged in this type of plastic. Eeeek!!!

You know, I'm far from a treehugger, but this development is seriously not good! I guess they want some type of non-decomposing material to keep all of those disposable diapers company in the landfills for the next several thousand years. These plastic bags have seriously heightened my interest in being a good steward of the planet. I find myself looking for more and more things and ways to recycle and reuse.

Recycling isn't easy here in Cowlumbus. We don't have a recycling program in place. It's 2007 in a city with a metropolitan area population of close to 1.2 million people, and we don't have a recycling program. I tell that to friends from elsewhere in the country, and they are appalled. And, they should be.

Several years ago, rather than implement a recycling program, Cowlumbus decided to opt for building a trash burning power plant. It was shut down 2 or 3 years ago due to toxic emissions. So, now we have more trash and no electricity from this waste of tax payer money and still no recycling plan. The mayor has vowed that he will have one in place by 2009. Or was that 2011? Either way, you have to love it. Yes, that was meant as a sarcastic statement.

On my job, the amount of wasted paper that is just thrown into the trash dumpsters is incredible. I've been looking at doing something with papier mache, handmade papers, or a couple of other experiments that I'm thinking of. Plastic bottles and containers still present a quandry, but I've been mulling around a couple of different ideas.

I've been saving some different eco-type sites to my del.icio.us page the last couple of weeks. You can find me there under Karma_Dogma.

It isn't about being reactionary in response to alarming instances of wastefulness and environmental irresponsibility, it's about being proactive in order to make a difference in the situation.





No comments: